Join the Board of Directors
July 28, 2022
Midori & Friends is seeking Board members who will be enthusiastic partners as we embark on our 30th year of service to the NYC community. The Board provides support through governance, strategic planning, fundraising, and outreach. This opportunity is a volunteer position.
Please contact Larisa Gelman, Executive Director to volunteer at email@example.com.
About Midori & Friends:
Midori & Friends is a premier provider in music education throughout New York City, delivering exceptional music education programs to students in pre-K through grade 12 since 1992. Midori & Friends programs are offered at no cost to students and are available to all children regardless of their musical ability, education, or economic background. Each year we engage thousands of students with high-quality instrument instruction, interactive world music concerts, and advocacy-driven leadership programs.
Our founder, Midori, is a visionary artist, activist and educator who explores and builds connections between music and the human experience and breaks with traditional boundaries. Midori’s is a 2021 Kennedy Center Honoree, United Nations Messenger of Peace, 2001 Avery Fischer Prize Winner, and one of the most outstanding violinists of our time.
Who Should Join the Board
Midori & Friends seeks corporate, civic, and cultural leaders who are committed to bringing accessible music education to students in New York City. We are particularly interested in individuals with expertise in technology, real estate, and marketing/communications.
Board Terms and Composition
The Midori & Friends Board may have a maximum of 27 members. Currently, 17 serve on the board from diverse industry and cultural sectors including arts, law, marketing and communications, finance, and philanthropy. The 17-member Board consists of 11 women and 6 men: 31% Asian; 16% Black, 5% Latino, and 48% White.
Board members are elected for three-year terms, renewable for unlimited years. Board members serve without compensation.
Responsibilities of M&F Board Members
Board Meetings: The full board meets quarterly and members are encouraged to attend at least 4 times per year either in person or virtually. Board members are also expected to provide expertise as a member of a committee of the board. There are currently 4 standing committees including the Nominating Committee, Finance Committee, Program Committee, and Marketing/Development Committee that meet from 5-6 times per year.
Annual Support: Board members are expected to contribute and raise a minimum annual gift of $5,000. They are also expected to contribute to signature events such as the 30th anniversary gala.
Additional Responsibilities & Qualities:
- Commitment to M&F’s mission and a genuine interest in at least one of the following areas: education, arts education, cultural awareness, leadership, or arts advocacy
- Willingness to be a team player and an empathetic, thoughtful listener
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: finance, fundraising, strategic planning, governance, education and/or personnel. (Previous Board experience preferred)
- Commitment to three years of Board service
- Willingness to serve on at least one committee and actively participate
- Willingness to accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time
- Willingness to commit time for quarterly board meetings, committee meetings, special events (6-8 hours per quarter)
- Willingness to participate in M&F’s fundraising efforts by actively seeking new donors (individual and/or institutional) and stewarding current donors
- Recognizing M&F as a priority for personal giving and willingness to make a personally meaningful financial contribution to it each year
- Willing to use their networks and connections to promote the purpose and agenda of the organization