Teen Artistry, Leadership, and Advocacy!
NEXTGen Musician, a youth leadership and advocacy program, launched in 2022 for New York City public school teens. Scholarships are provided for students to explore career pathways, in music and beyond, through workshops, private lessons, masterclasses, performances, work-study opportunities, and career labs with critical thinkers in diverse fields of study and extraordinary artists, including world-renowned virtuoso violinist, Midori! Teens sharpen their advocacy skills through storytelling, public speaking, and persuasive writing. The program culminates with a community presentation of their collaborative arts advocacy campaign featuring the next generation of music leaders.
The program will run from January through May (5 month commitment) and students are expected to meet 2-3 hours per week after-school.
Program at a glance:
- Program stipend
- Weekly music lessons
- Audit masterclasses, creative arts workshops, and performances of artists in the fields of music, media, among others
- Career labs and seminars on arts advocacy including lobbying, case building, grassroots efforts, public speaking and letter writing
- Mentorship opportunities with professionals in the field of tech and music production
- Excursions throughout New York City to cultural organizations and events
- Daylong team-building retreat to Hudson, NY art studios and Wally Farms
- ABC studio tour and on-camera masterclass with Ron Claiborne
- Create a culminating arts advocacy campaign aimed at policy makers and their influencers